Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Union City

I am now in Union City, New Jersey, almost right across the river from New York. Yesterday I went and took some pictures of New York. Union City is a packed city. Apparently it has the highest population density of any city in the united states. Two reasons why it is so densely populated is 1) property value is probably pretty high because it is so close to New York, so people live in smaller spaces, and 2) the city is almost entirely Hispanic, who also are living in smaller living spaces. The ward here is really cool. An entirely Spanish ward. I am really excited.
My companion is Elder Ward. He and I went into the MTC at the same time, but we were not in the same district. We were in a threesome for a week with Elder Johnson, but he left to fly home this morning, so now it's just the two of us in a companionship. It is really cool to be here, I had been hoping to come to union city for a while now, and I am really excited. one, because it is a Spanish ward, and two, because it is a walking area.
Our area is huge, though. it is two areas combined, from 15th street to 49th street. before they were two separate areas. From what I understand, next transfer they will divide the area again. Elder Ward and Elder Johnson had been working in the 15-30 area, and two other Elders were working from 30-49, so, it's been difficult, because Elder Ward doesn't know the investigators from the 30-49 area. Brian Martinez, one of the members here, has been helping us out a lot. He was called on a mini-mission for 2 months, and he worked in the 30-49, and he is back home now, working again, and getting ready for school, but he has been helping us out a ton with getting the area rolling. I'm also really excited, too, because this Sunday we will be having a baptism!!! Genaro, an investigator that the Elders who were in the 30-49 had been working with, came up to Brian and said that he wanted to get baptized next week. I went over with Brian yesterday, and we reviewed the baptismal interview questions, and taught the 10 commandments, and then we are meeting with him again tomorrow, then the baptismal interview is going to be on Friday, after Zone conference, then he will be baptized on Sunday. We also have an investigator scheduled to be baptized the Sunday after that! The work here is already strong, and we are going to help it take off! Serving a mission has been the greatest decision I have ever made. I know that I am doing the right thing because I can see the difference the gospel makes in peoples lives. I love you all and miss you so much, but I know that I am where I need to be.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth.

No comments: