Monday, April 26, 2010

Birthday Buttermilk


Okay, at first the tagline may seem a little strange, but I'll explain. Today is my companions birthday, and I wanted to do something for him. So, I decided to go with the Ellsworth family tradition of making pancakes with Mom's buttermilk syrup and strawberries and whipped cream. It was really cool, he wasn't expecting it at all. It was really cool. The syrup was really good, everyone loved it a ton. I remember a few months ago making a comment to Sister Bahr about it and she said "That doesn't make any sense, how can you make syrup with Buttermilk?" But, I made it and it was delicious.

As for the Mothers Day call, I am more than happy to wait until later to call home. I don't think it'll be a distraction for me. I remember that my first call home I was waiting in anticipation for weeks, and thinking about it all the time, but now the call home is just part of the plan, waiting a couple more weeks I am completely willing to do. I really want to be on the phone as well as Nick opens his call. My biggest question is what does Mom think about it because after all, Mother's day is her special day. As for me, I'm fine with waiting, just let me know next week what the plan is, if he does start the papers this week, then I'll definitely wait.
This week has been crazy for us! When we got home on Sunday and added up everything, I have honestly no idea how we did as much as we did. These last two days have been especially crazy, we've been running around like no other.

This week we had Zone conferences. Elder Pearson from the first quorum of the Seventy came to our mission on a mission tour, and he taught us in Zone conference. He taught us a lot about how to be a better missionary. One thing that really stuck out to me. He talked about how our Identity is everything. We need to set aside who we were to become who we need to be. We need to become missionaries, not just 20 year old guys on a mission. He said our Identity detirmines our behavior, Attitude and rules, which determine our Actions, which in turn detirmine our Reality. If we change our Identity we change our Reality. Also he talked about being bold in inviting and bringing the Spirit. This week we've already seen a lot of miracles. That same night we set Dolores with a baptismal date for the 9th of May.

Another really cool miracle we saw this week. Last Sunday we met this guy named Juan who just came to church with his daughter, who is visiting from the DR. He told us he really wants to get baptized. We have gone over almost every single day this week and taught him. He is really cool Dominican guy, he's pretty old, and is partly deaf, so we have to almost yell while we have been teaching him. He is getting baptized this Sunday!!! On tuesday when we went over we met his son, who lives in Boston, who is going to baptize him. It was really cool, I know that the Lord has blessed us a lot in this area.

As for making me "Trunky" You're not, so don't worry about it. I just try not to think about it much, and when I do it's more of a "I only have 4 months left, I need to use what little time I have well" type of thing, I think it's more of a motivation than a distraction, really. I think that this will likely be my last area, so I need to do my best here and leave an impression, make the ward better, make the work better. and I feel like I've been doing well at that. I've only been here a month and we are already having a baptism. I know that it is because we are working hard and keeping ourselves focused so we can bring the spirit, that's why the Lord blessed us to teach Juan.

The picture is myself with Moises Galicia from Union City. Last week in my email I told about him coming with us to Dolores' house last week. After we left Dolores' house we took this picture, kind of another goodbye you could say. I think it's also a cool picture. The large buildings in the background is not New York, it is actually downtown Jersey City, which is in our area still. It was cool. He is off at BYU Idaho right now, and will be leaving on his mission hopefully in July or August.

I hope that this week goes well for you. I hope you get feeling better. Good luck with the end of the school year, Mom, I hope that things go well. I love you all so much, and I am excited to talk to you all soon. Let me know what's up next week. Thanks for always being a support to me here.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth

No comments: