Monday, May 10, 2010

Baptisms and Transfers.....

Transfers are Tomorrow, but the good news is that neither Elder Larsen nor I are getting transferred. We'll be here together for at least one more transfer. (June 22) this transfer has just flown by, it seems like just yesterday I was packing my bags and leaving WNY. Elder Larsen and I have been tearing things up here in Jersey City.

Yesterday we had a baptism!!!! However, today I forgot the stuff to transfer pics, so I don't have pictures for you this week, but next week I will send you pictures. I baptized Dolores yesterday, it went well. the water was a tad warm and a little too low, so it almost was really bad, but it went well. Both her sons came to the baptism, They really felt the spirit.

The area is going well right now. We just baptized two really great people. Now we are going to focus on working with Dolores' family and get them baptized as well. Samuel, her son, is getting close. He has a lot of things he would need to give up if he were to get baptized, and he doesn't see that happening. However, the fact that he came to church yesterday was a big step. hopefully he'll be able to keep coming and feel the spirit and make that change in his life. Joseph, the grandson, is also progressing well, we are hoping to get him baptized soon. He has expressed desires to get baptized, and even said he's thought about serving a mission, we will need to get permission from his Mom to baptize him, however, he lives in the heights with her, but we always teach him at Dolores' house.
Juan is also doing well. He got confirmed yesterday. The bishopric had forgotten or did not know, and so as he was announcing that we were going to do the sacrament I started hand signaling him from the congregation. I performed the confirmation. It went well. He really felt the spirit, we are starting to teach him the new member lessons, so that he can remain a strong member of the church.

I know that the church us true. I love being a missionary. The other night I was having a hard time sleeping, so I got up and started reading my journal and writing to get a few things off my mind. I started writing a sort of abridged journal and I was writing about the MTC. I was thinking about that first day, where they used to take you into a big room, and watch a teary-eyed video, and then families go out one door and missionaries out the other. I made the comment that "I had no idea when I walked through that door how much my life was going to change" My mission has truly changed me. I have seen how the gospel changes others lives and in the course, my life has been changed.

Yesterday I completed my goal I set for baptisms I wanted to have in my mission. My goal was 10. Now I have had 10 people I have taught and was there when they got baptized. I have done some thinking over the last few days, and I want to reset my goal, because I still have a few months left. My new goal is 15. I have a goal to get 5 more people to the waters of baptism before I go home. I pray that God will help me accomplish that goal.

I'm glad that everyone is doing well. I'm really excited to be able to talk to everyone in a few weeks. I was a little bummed last night not calling home, but it was definitely a sacrifice I was willing to make, I know how important it is to Nick, and I also really want to be on the phone when he opens it. I'm glad that President allowed me to do it. Hopefully he gets his papers sooner rather than later. I'm so excited, I remember how nervous I was waiting for my mission call to come. I still hold to my guess being Greece. That would, however make calling home a little complicated.... But , wherever he gets called to go, it'll be where the Lord wants him to go.

I'm glad to hear as well that Em did well on her test. Hopefully she finishes out the school year strong.
I can't believe that Ian will be going to Jr. High next year! time has flown, I can't believe how much things have changed since I've been gone.

I love you all so much, and I hope Mom had a good Mother's Day. I hope everyone does well this week and things go well for you. I love you all so much and I am grateful for your support and your prayers.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

IF he knew of the chaos in Greece right now, he may change his guess. :)

Ike said...

can I make a correction, there is a typo. I have not had 20 baptisms. I have had 10

lellswo said...

I corrected Isaac's typo. His goal was 10 baptisms and he has accomplished that now. Good for him for aiming higher and shooting for 5 more before he comes home.