Monday, May 24, 2010

Great Week!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Good luck with the end of the school year. As far as calling home goes, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do either. I would like to be on the phone when Nick opens his call, but I have no idea when that will happen, so I'm a little in the dark right now. We have interviews with President Bahr this week and I'll ask him about it. From my understanding the call home can be any time, but it's usually on Mother's day, but I can wait as long as necessary by the rules. I'll ask president.

Also, quick note, next week email will have to be on Tuesday, the Library will be closed for Memorial day.

This week was absolutely amazing, even with Zone conferences this week and service and a ward activity on Saturday, we still taught a lot of lessons
.
The area is doing well. On June 6th we have a baptism planned, Brian, a 9 year-old kid. I have certainly learned a lot about trying to teach simply working with Brian, trying to break the gospel down simply enough that a 9 year-old can understand is pretty difficult for me. I need to improve my teaching apparently. We are also getting close to setting a date with Joseph, Dolores' son, but we do see a potential challenge upcoming with trying to get his Mother's permission to baptize him. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, though, we first need to get him committed to being baptized.

With Brian we are also trying to get his Father the Aaronic Priesthood so he can baptize his son. We committed him to get interviewed by the Bishop this Wednesday, hopefully he can receive the Aaronic Priesthood either this Sunday or next. We have been trying to work with the family so they will be a strong family and can go to the temple together in a year.

Yesterday we had an amazing miracle. We went to try and stop by this former investigator, and were on the doorstep on the side of the building (he lived in the basement). And this other man walks up to the door, and just looks at us with the most confused look. He seemed like he was gathering his thoughts to say something, and I said hi, and introduced us as missionaries. We said that we were looking for Bismark, and asked if he knew him. He said that was his roommate. We asked him his name he said "Jairo" I started to explain to him our message (the usual street contact-type deal) and he said "Excuse me.." and in my mind I thought he was about to give us an excuse like "I already have a church" or something like that but he said "Excuse me, could we go inside first." We went in and taught him one of the most spiritual first lessons I have taught my entire mission.

He told us just before we met him he was with some friends, and they were drinking, and started poking fun at him, and said some offensive things, so he left, he doesn't like to drink. He said that on the way home he had been praying and asking God to give him strength, and help to resist temptation. When he got home there we were (hence the look of confusion, it was just too perfect of a situation). We explained the Book of Mormon, how that it can be that source of strength he was praying for, and how the Restoration of the gospel and the true church can give him more direction. It was one of the most miraculous experiences of my mission so far. The spirit was so strong and I know he felt it. He accepted a soft baptismal invite, and we are going to walk with him to church on Sunday. It was absolutely remarkable.

I hope Nick gets his mission call soon. I know that the mission will be a choice experience for him. I have had so many experiences that have shaped and changed me. When I came on a mission I didn't exactly have an "amazing" testimony, but it has grown so much, and I know, independent of anyone else, and without a shadow of a doubt that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and that the church is restored. I have seen that message change lives here, and it has truly changed me.
In other news I got an email from Daniel Barker (trainer) today. He is getting married on June 12th! I can't believe it! He said he wants to come to my homecoming talk, and to let him know when it would be, to which I thought, "I don't even want to think about a homecoming talk." Yesterday about 10:00 at night it hit me that I go home in 3 months, I didn't get a very good sleep last night. I have so much more I need to accomplish, and time is so short. I'm grateful for the support that you have been for me, both physically and emotionally. I am looking forward to talking to you. (hopefully sooner rather than later) but whenever it is, I'm not too worried about it.

Good luck with the end of school. Soon it will be time to relax during summer break. I love you all so much and miss you. I'll write again on next Tuesday.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth

No comments: