Saturday, March 14, 2009

6 months, how did that happen?

I'm glad you got the pictures. I had to send them in two separate emails because they were too big to fit in one email. It's good to hear that Nick is doing well, and it's very true the shock he must have. I was really shocked here to see the way some people live, not exactly like people living in Cardboard boxes, but still an eye-opener. I'm sure that he'll have an experience that will change his life. Hopefully also it will help him to prepare for a mission.

Spring is kind of getting here, but winter is being pretty fickle. Today it is at least raining instead of snowing. I hate the snow here in New Jersey, by the way. It is disgusting. When it melts it leaves a lot of White gross deposits all over everything. After the last snow melted the car was pretty gross, so we went and got it washed.

My area here is pretty rough. The members here are really awesome, but as far as investigators go... Well, as missionaries we keep what are called "Teaching Records" to keep track of people's progress and what they have been taught as we help them to progress towards baptism. We usually make a teaching record after 2 or 3 solid lessons and they are starting to progress. This last week we had to order some teaching records because we don't have any in the apartment, and for the first time since Elder Amundsen has been in this area (4 1/2 months) we have investigators to make teaching records for. They are both very solid investigators, one is called the Nuñez family, and the other is Carla, We are going to try and get them both to church this week. We get dropped by investigators a lot, we had one lady named Amanda, who we taught once, and the next time we went over, she wasn't home and her son handed us a stack of everything we had given her. It was sad, we called her and she said that she didn't want us to come back. Yesterday we had a guy call us 7 times (we had left our phone at home that day by accident) and he finally reached us to tell us to never knock on his door again.
The work here is a hard, but I've been able to refine myself a lot here. We are finally making some progress, and things are picking up here. I don't know what's going to happen in the near future though, transfers are next Wednesday, so, it'll be interesting.

As for clothes holding up, well, BOTH pairs of Missionary Mall pants are ripped and pretty unfixable, and a pair of pants from each suit have been ruined. One of them wasn't my fault, I promise. I've been told that pretty much all my shirts will get ruined this summer, but that's alright, I'll have the whole winter to acquire some new ones. I just need to get my suits dry-cleaned though, I haven't cleaned them since the MTC, and I need to buy some more tracting slacks, the Missionary Mall ones are pretty poor crappy pants. Any missionaries going out to the feild, be sure to tell them not to buy ANYTHING, except maybe ties, from Missionary Mall. Dad, I did get the debit card, the $30 and the Taco Bell were me. I needed to help pay a parking ticket from when we were on exchanges. and Elder Amundsen really loves eating at Taco Bell. It was weird though, the letter that came with the Debit Card was dated for February 18, and I received it on March 8. Usually mail, even mail coming in through the office, is not that slow. It was just weird how long it took to get to me. I have it now. Oh, yeah, as for cooking, I haven't really bought groceries since I've been here, there's really no room for them. Our fridge is always full of food from members. There's a member in our ward who cooks a lot of food for us every Wednesday. It's pretty cool. We also do get fed the member quite a bit. Last night we had two dinner appointments. One at about 5:00 with the Villarini's, and one at about 7:30 with the Bishop's family. This transfer has been pretty stressful, but I'm doing alright now. I've been on a kind of an emotional roller coaster since I've been here. But through it all I've been doing well and tried to find my reasons for being on a mission.
I miss you all, and I am excited that Nick is doing well in Haiti, tell him Hi for me. I hope everything is going well for you.

Love,
Elder Isaac

No comments: