Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Transfers

Well, this transfer conference is a weird one. This time I actually knew for a fact what was going to happen since Saturday. We got a call that they were going to put the area back together. The mission is short about 20 missionaries. A mission usually has on average 140, we have about 120 right now. So they combined the areas back together. Elder Amundsen and Elder Stettler left, and Elder Cauffman and I are now companions. We are what is called a "Spanglish" companionship. I speak Spanish and he is an English missionary. But what makes it weird is that Elder Cauffman and I have already lived together for 6 weeks. So it's kind of like getting a new companion, but at the same time... not. He's really cool though. I'm really nervous, though. I don't feel that I speak Spanish well enough to cover all the Spanish by myself. we have a few Spanish investigators already that have been progressing well. I'm really nervous about this transfer though. The other weird thing is that we are co-seniors, there is no senior companion. We both entered the MTC the same day. We hit our 6 month mark not long ago.
This transfer is going to go well I hope. I also hope that Elder Cauffman and I are companions longer than just one transfer, too. So far each companion I've had I've been with for only one transfer. Elder Barker went on the next transfer, Elder Kemp became a trainer, so I had to leave, and now they put the area back together so Elder Amundsen had to leave. We'll see.

This last week I had a really cool experience I wanted to share with you. Last week Elder Amundsen and I decided that we wanted to get 20 hours of knocking in that week. We had gotten about 7-12 hours a week the whole transfer, and we really didn't have any solid investigators. We knocked 20 hours last week, and only got let in a single door. And he seemed pretty cool, but he didn't want to give us a return appointment. Elder Amundsen told me once that tracting/knocking is not really about finding people. It is in a way, and we do find people through knocking, but knocking is more about showing the Lord that we want to work, and are willing to work hard. When we show the Lord that we are willing to work, he will help us find people to teach. On Saturday we went over to an appointment with a media referral, and we taught him and his family. The spirit was really strong and they seemed really interested in the message we were sharing. We knocked 20 hours and only found 1 person, but because we were willing to show the Lord that we wanted to work, the Lord provided us with that family to teach. A full family of 4!

I've been doing really well here, and I'm glad to hear Nick enjoyed himself in Haiti. I love you a lot and miss you tons. Thanks Dad for sending me the pictures. Nick looks like he really enjoyed himself over there.
As for the package, thank you, there really isn't a whole lot I can think of that I need.
Love you,
Elder Isaac

2 comments:

The Wells Family said...

I stumbled across your blog. Nice to see another adventure of a missionary serving in NJ. My son is also serving in NJ, he will have his hump day on the 26th of March. He loves it, he works so hard with not alot of sucess. Check out Colten's blog. I will check in on yours also. Have a great eve.

The Wells Family said...

http://eldercoltenwells.blogspot.com/

Sorry forgot to post a link to his blog.