Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19th

I always hate it when for whatever reason the libraries are closed on Monday (usually holidays) and we have to email on Tuesday, mostly because we have to end P-day early and take time out of a regular day to email. However, complaining never solves anything, and here we are on the fine Tuesday morning writing the weekly email.

Today we had district meeting, the second one I've had to give. it went well I think. I was again pretty nervous, but I think it definitely went better than last weeks. Last week I hadn't prepared enough material, this week I prepared too much, and couldn't finish it all. After that we went as a district to lunch at Kikiriki, a delicious Peruvian restaurant.

Right before coming to do email we had an awesome lesson with Elder, one of our investigators. The first time we met him he mentioned that he used to wonder what his name meant. He had met missionaries in the past, and when they met him and asked him his name, they didn't believe him, and thought he wasn't being serious or was lying to them. I would've thought that it would be an unusual name, but I've known 2 Elders now, and met one guy named Elder on the street.

Elder is super prepared. today was the third or fourth time we've met with him. He told us today that one reason he let us in in the first place was because he has seen ad's for the church on TV, and they are just nice uplifting messages about family. He commented that most other churches he's seen ad's on TV and all they are is propaganda,he says, and he doesn't like that. Today we started talking about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he really understands it well. He already has a deep understanding of what is repentance. He works a lot with AA, and helps others to overcome alcoholism. He said he was an alcoholic many years ago, and through the program helped him to overcome his addiction and change his life, and now he helps others. I told him that that is repentance. Repentance is all about change, changing ourselves, and improving daily to become better. He also really understands the importance of baptism, but he said he wants to be sure, that it is something important, and that he would be baptized, but it needs to be from the heart. it was an amazing lesson, he is so prepared.

Things are going really well here in WNY. My companion and I are working hard, and we are starting to see miracles. Elder, we feel is really close to a baptismal date, as well as one of our other investigators, Carlos. we are hoping to soon be able to set them and get them progressing towards baptism.

Jeyckof is also doing well. Yesterday Elder McBroom called and talked to him, and I think it was good for him, he got a little down when Elder McBroom left. Hopefully soon he'll be receiving the Aaronic priesthood.

Another random thing, yesterday as we were on the way to an appointment I ran into Yawdy and Gabriel. They both were making comments about how skinny I was getting. Yawdy said "Are they not feeding you?" They are doing really well. Gabriel apparently blessed the sacrament this last Sunday at church! I am really excited for them. I am also excited in June I will be able to go with Genaro to the temple.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well. I enjoyed the emails that you sent me yesterday. Emily and her colored emails are always very interesting and I was glad to hear that things are going well.

I hope that Nick does well in Haiti. I know that it'll be tough with the earthquake, but I know that he'll be fine. God will protect him. The earthquake has definitely had it's impacts here. A lot of people have had the news on the last few days, and I have been hearing a lot about the earthquake. If nothing else good has come out of it, at least one good thing has. The earthquake has helped to cure the hatred that a lot of Dominicans have for Haitians. Hate might be a strong word, but a lot of Dominicans do not like Haitians at all, but it seems that that wall quickly is coming down. Hopefully this helps to open doors as well. I know that before the Haitian government did not allow American missionaries to go to Haiti, the only missionaries there are Haitians and Dominicans, basically, but perhaps this will open doors for the church to help bless even more the Haitian people. I certainly hope and pray that Nick will be safe when he goes to Haiti.

Well, I hope that things continue to go well at home, I gotta get going. I love you guys so much, and I will talk to you next week! Next week will be again on Monday of course.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth

No comments: