Monday, April 25, 2011

Mount Shasta!

This week Nick sent a package home through the Christensen's who are members of the Cottonwood Ward.  They were in Provo to attend their daughter's graduation from BYU.  We met up with them on Sunday afternoon and they had great things to say about Nick and his companion Elder McAllister.  They had even gotten permission from President Pendleton to have Nick and his companion stay in their home while they were in Utah, allowing them to avoid commuting between Cottonwood and their apartment in Anderson.  After returning home Monday morning, Brother Christensen called me to let me know that Nick was being transferred to Mount Shasta--Nick didn't know he called.  So this was our email conservation with Nick today:

Dad: Nick, congratulations on your transfer to Mount Shasta.   It looks like it will be a very beautiful area.  I hope the members keep you busy there.  We’re anxious to hear from you today!  Dad

Nick: How did you know about Mount Shasta?

Dad: We have an amazing spy network.  You should remember that from high school.

Nick: Well I am impressed!  Did you talk to President?

Dad: No, Bro. Christensen called me this morning and told me.

It was fun chatting by email for a few minutes this morning.  Here is Nick's letter this week:

Well this is one of the most interesting weeks of my mission thus far!  As you guys know already I am being transferred to the Mount Shasta Ward up in the Redding stake!  This is the farthest north ward in the whole mission and I think that the driving responsibility will be mine, at least that is what Elder McAllister says! 

My new companion is named Elder Brown, and I have heard a lot about him, some good, and one missionary didn't say the best things about him!  He was homeschooled so a little wierd, he also is a very strict Elder, but that is something that I am excited about, I want to go up there and work hard with Elder Brown.  I am excited that it should be nice and cool(er) for the summer.  I keep hearing rumors about the heat here in Cottonwood, so it is probably a good time to take off! 

Well I was super nervous, but now I am just excited, I think that the phone call telling me what was going to happen was worse than the actual news was!  I have enjoyed my time here, and have made some lasting friendships, and really look forward to the day when I will return here.

This week was crazy.  The Christensen's went out of town, and they got permission form President Pendleton for us to house sit for them.  We spent the past four days taking care of their house, and their 5 crazy dogs!  It was really fun to get to spend some time with dogs, it makes me miss our dogs a little bit.  Funny comment, I have met a dog named Olive, and Oliver here in Cottonwood, I did not think there was another dog on the planet named Olive!  The dogs were fun, but the three little dogs were annoying, and sometimes I was tempted to drop kick them!  But I withstood the temptation.
     
Well I really do hope that you guys enjoyed that package, honestly I just threw a bunch of stuff that I had into a box, and called it a present!  Ha ha but I hope you loved it!  Things are just starting to pick up again in Cottonwood, so now is a bummer to get transferred, but I will go where the Lord wants.

Love Elder Ellsworth

P.S. I am not going to let what others say start to form my opinion.  I am just excited to go up there--I hear it is very pretty!

In other news, we got a call this week from the Trapper Trails Boy Scout Council that Nick and his friend Matt Scherbel have been selected to be awarded the BSA Honor Medal for a lifesaving water rescue they were involved in on the Green River last summer while working as high adventure rangers at Camp New Fork in Wyoming.  Nick has the further distinction of being awarded the Honor Medal with Crossed Palms.  According to the BSA's website, The Honor Medal with Crossed Palms may be awarded in exceptional cases to a youth member or adult leader who has demonstrated unusual heroism and extraordinary skill or resourcefulness in saving or attempting to save life at extreme risk to self.  This medal has only been awarded 250 times since its inception in 1938.

The medals will be awarded to Nick and Matt at the council's board meeting in Odgen on Friday May 7.  Since Matt is entering the MTC on Wednesday, April 27, neither of the boys will be in attendance.

No comments: