Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Week of Highs and Lows

A quick note from Liz: Sorry I didn't get last week's letter posted. Things have been a little crazy. I have posted last week's and this week's letters on here. Nick is doing well, loving his mission inspite of some of the challenges of missionary work......

Dear Family,

Well things in Mount Shasta are going very well, but I have been a little bit frustrated lately.  Elder Brown and I get along well, but there are just some things that drive me nuts about him.  I will talk about that later.  I had a very cool experience, I guess you could say that it was a spirtual personal Revelation.  
 
This week, I got your box in the mail, and that was very good to get that care package, I especially love the Ensign's that you guys made me, they are so awesome, and so packed with spiritual insight.  I have been having this problem lately and one of the articles in the Ensign really spoke to me.  I thought that I was having problems feeling the spirit, these past few weeks have been a struggle, and I thought that I was not feeling the spirit in my life.  It really was worrying me, and this week as I read out of the Ensign there was a talk that was written with me in mind.  Elder Bednar's talk on Revelation was the talk.  As I read it I came to realize that I felt that I wasn't feeling the Spirit because I had not been having these overwhelming experiences that I thought I was supposed to have.  I allowed myself to believe that because I wasn't having those experiences I was not feeling the Spirit.  As I read the talk, I realized that you don't need that.  I did not need that to feel the Spirit!  There was a part in particular that talked about how if we are living our lives in conjunction with the Commandments, we can move forward, and know that God approved.  It might sound like a small experience, but it has made a world of difference to me.  That was probably the highlight of my week.
 
  I started this week something else that I am thoroughly enjoying.  So I have been trying to read one General Conference talk everyday, and as I read I highlight specific things that I like.  When I finish the talk, I go and I pick 1 or two quotes from the talk, and then right those in my Quote book that I started last week!  So now I have like 10 quotes already written, and it is really great to have those words with me always, I even used one in a lesson this week. 
 
I have really been struggling lately to get along with my Companion.  He just does some things and I know it is my fault for being frustrated, but it just makes me mad sometimes!  I love him, but I need to learn to like him now.
 
Starting today I will be on exchanges with my District Leader Elder Jackson.  He is really a sharp guy, and I have enjoyed serving around him.  So this will be my 5 exchange on my mission, and I have never been on one in my area.  Now for the big news... Tomorrow I have been a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints for 6 months!  It blows my mind!  It has felt like I have not even served for... I don't even know.  But it honestly feels like yesterday that I was dropped of at the MTC.  If this trend of flying time continues I will be freaking out very soon.  A quarter of my mission gone and I have not done very much.  I need to work even harder for the Salvation of many Souls.  
 
Also I wanted to share with you guys some cool insight that I gained today at District Meeting.  Elder Jackson mentioned that Sister Pendleton told him this when they first arrived in the mission field.  She said that the Most important missionary work on your mission will be in your Journal, and in your letters home.  I hope that I can fulfill that while I serve the Lord.  To Serve my family and friends, and also my posterity.  I love this Mission.  I hope to Thrive during the high points and endure well the Low's!  This is God's work, I know that is true! 
 
Love Elder Ellsworth

No comments: