Monday, July 27, 2009

New Comp, New area-ish

This week's been a little weird. On last Monday we switched to Monday P-days, which was a little strange, but is was pretty cool, we played soccer, and we even had an investigator come to play with us.

On Wednesday we had the transfer conference, that morning we moved all my stuff to the 36th street apartment and then went to the transfer conference. My new companion's name is Elder Sopeña, he is from Puerto Rico. He's been on his mission for about 5 months now, including the 2 months in the MTC learning English. He also did a 7 month "mini-mission" before so he knows really well how to do missionary work.

Sorry today that the email is later than usual, today we have a different schedule, we are living in the apartment on 36th street now, and I no longer have access to a washer and dryer, so we had to do laundry and such earlier today.

This week has also been weird with the area split. Now I am only covering from 30th to 49th street, and no longer am working with the investigators and members that were in the 15-30 part of the area. We are also now living with 2 English elders that cover the "North Bergen" area from the Jersey City ward. Their names are Elder Brox and Elder MacDonald.

One thing though, our landlady is unreasonable. She basically expects us to walk around on tiptoes all the time. We make even the slightest noise, walking on the floor, and she gets mad at us. We can't even get ready in the morning without her getting mad and telling us that we woke her up. It makes living and doing the work really difficult.

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well with the house. I looked the new house up on google maps, it looks huge. I'm not sure if I was looking at the right house, but it was the only one I think it could be. That is really awesome.

I still can't believe how fast time has been going on my mission. Tyler is already going to be heading out. He'll be going into the MTC exactly 1 year since I left the MTC and flew to New Jersey. I'm really excited for him to serve a mission. New Zealand will be an awesome mission. People there will probably be more open than they are here. Serving in the United States is hard. The Spanish people here are usually pretty humble, but the American, white people are so hard-hearted. Just yesterday we were trying to check up on a potential, and we knocked on her doorbell and the neighbors downstairs came out to the door, and he was getting mad at us. "Come on, its Sunday evening, don't come knocking on my door, some people don't like that" He was really angry with us, and I hadn't even knocked on his door. My last area, Clinton, was especially hard, because the people there were also very wealthy.
Speaking of Clinton, this transfer they re-opened Spanish there. Elder Secrist, my MTC comp, and Elder Wolthuis, who was here in Union City 1-15 went to go serve in my old area. I'm going to talk to them in a few days to find out how things are going. It's going to be good that they are putting Spanish back in Clinton.

Things are going pretty well here in Union City, yesterday was kind of hard, only one of our investigators came to church, it was a little down-heartening. This week we are also going to do a lot of finding, with half the area not with us anymore, we need to find some new investigators to jump start our teaching pool. Elder Sopeña is a really hard-working missionary, we have already seen some cool things happen here.

Well, I love you all a lot, and I hope things are going well for you, recent update, we just got a call from one of our investigators to see if we were playing sports today, he's really cool, he played with us last week. I got to get going, but I hope that everything is going good.

Love, Elder Isaac Ellsworth

No comments: