Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day.... 24/12= 1/2

Yes, because of Labor Day yesterday, the library was closed, but we got a text message the other day that we would be able to take a little bit of time today and do email. This last week has been pretty good. We had 2 confirmations and a baby blessing in sacrament on Sunday, so the testimony part of the meeting didn't get started until quarter till 11:00. One thing that is very different between a Hispanic ward out here and fast and testimony meeting back home is there is not the awkward silence waiting for people to get up and bear their testimony. right when the time for testimonies began, about 10 or 15 people stood up and sat on the stand to wait to bear their testimony. It was also really great because we had 5 investigators at sacrament, that is more than I've had in my whole mission almost! It was amazing, almost the whole middle back row was our investigators! This week I played the piano for sacrament for the first time on my mission. I always play in priesthood, but I played for sacrament, one of the sisters asked me, "Why haven't they had you play, you play beautifully".
Oh, by the way, on Wednesday we had the transfer conference, I didn't go to this one, but my new companion is Elder Gamez, no that is not a misspelling, it is actually spelled Gamez, not Gomez. It threw me off as well. We are in a threesome now, which is not as bad as I thought it would be, but it is still tough. Elder Gamez is a really cool guy. He is from Phoenix Arizona, he is fresh out from the MTC. He is really humble, and willing to work hard. Elder Sopeña is the trainer, so there is not as much stress for me, having to report on his progress and things, but It's still tough, there have already been a couple of incidences where it has been 2 verses 1 on a disagreement. I have been playing the piano whenever a get a chance this week. It is a really good stress relief for me. As far as we know, the threesome thing will only be for one transfer, so for now I just have to endure.
Oddly enough, this is also the first time that I have kept a companion for more than one transfer, Elder Sopeña and I didn't split, however, Elder Gamez is still companion #8 in transfer #8.
In two days, by the way, is my year mark. I can not believe it. One year down. This year has gone by so fast. SO far in the first year of my mission I have had 8 companions, 4 areas, lived in 5 different apartments, and have had 2 baptisms. Hopefully in the next year of my mission a few of those numbers will be lower, and one will be higher.
Time really has flown by, I don't know if it's gone as fast for you guys as it has for me. I can hardly believe how fast it's gone. Yesterday I was thinking about it. "wow, my year mark is on Thursday, how did that happen?" I hope that I can work hard to make the second half even better.
I'm glad to hear Nick is doing well, I still haven't heard anything from him, but I hope that he is doing well, Emily did send me an email, apparently Peanut is getting pretty big. She said that she is doing well in school, and I'm glad to hear that.
Ian is on student council, huh? that's pretty bomb. I never was really into that, but I hope that he has a lot of fun. Maybe he'll do that all through High School. That is cool that he is getting into Orchestra, what instrument is he going to learn? When I get home I really want to learn how to play the Saxophone. I hope that he does well.
Oh, by the way, I may need some money. I got a suit given to me by one of our investigators and I need to take it next Monday and get it dry cleaned. Also, I need to buy some new sheets, they are getting a little gross, and they haven't been coming clean, I don't know if that would be possible, but if you can that would be great. I don't want to sound like I'm begging for money, but I can't buy those things with mission funds.
Also, I got a check from Grandpa and Grandma that I can't cash out here, so I will be sending that home. Thank you!
I love you a lot, and I miss you all tons. I'm doing well out here, the work is going well, this ward is amazing, I love this ward, On Sunday while I was up on the front, I looked out at the congregation and realized how many people there are in the ward here that I have so many good feelings for. I love being a missionary, it's hard, but it is the best experience of my life to date.
Love,
Elder Isaac Ellsworth.

No comments: